Sunday, November 8, 2009

A Serious Man

I went into A Serious Man with just the trailer and one Calendar section article to recommend it. A deeply personal, very Jewish (too Jewish for even me), deliberately indie flick after two successes seems fair to me. The Coen Brothers definitely owed themselves some fun, even if the resulting film is another erratic physiological trip. There’s a lot going on in this movie, to be sure, but I don’t feel as though I am schooled enough in my own roots to understand the all the anxieties on display here, and I’m watched every Woody Allen film at least twice! I can also conclude from the screening that I have no desire to ever see it again. This film is just nuts and that’s not always a compliment in the world of self-indulgent art-house cinema. Still, given that the film ends on an awkward, unsatisfying cliffhanger that many films of this type do (Broken Flowers for example) and I wasn’t really annoyed by it, is probably the best compliment I can give it.

No comments:

Post a Comment