Saturday, June 4, 2011

Fincher's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (trailer)


You might remember I saw all of the original Millenium films (that's the name of the trilogy) in theaters:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: Daring, horrifying, and absorbing.

The Girl who Played with Fire: Uneven, but fun and a hell of a great finale.

The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Next: Convoluted, but engaging when you could follow it.

Being adaptations of the novels by Stieg Larson, you can't really wag your finger "shame, shame" at Fincher and Columbia Pictures for adapting it themselves. And we, as a nation, are the entertainment capital of the world. So this was all inevitable.

However, I am just not a very big fan of Fincher. I love Fight Club...and that's about it. Benjamin Button wasn't bad and the Social Network was pretty sweet. But I loved the original Dragon Tattoo and don't really see how it can be improved. I'm not a fan of recreating the effective for no greater purpose (like the impending remake of Straw Dogs).

What can Fincher truly give us? I honestly can't look forward to his return to the hard "R" rating after his last two films. I loathed Alien 3 and especially Se7en. I'll see the movie when it comes out this December and I would prefer to be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment